Thursday, August 12, 2010

Friday the 13th

i don't believe in superstition but i'm just gonna blog about friday the 13th

It’s Friday the 13th.
Not that I’m being superstitious or anything, but I thought I’d jot down something here since it IS the only month this year that has its 13th day fall on a Friday.
What is it about Friday the 13th anyway? Some say it’s the most widespread and the world’s most popular superstition. It’s basically considered to be a day of bad luck. Actually, I’ve never really looked into the origin of this day before, or where it got its superstition. So I looked it up and I found out that it has something to do with Friday, being the sixth day of the week, and the number 13.

 The fear of the number manifests itself in various forms today. Like for instance, some buildings don’t have a 13th floor, some airlines don’t even put a 13th row on their planes. And some people refuse to drive or go out on Friday the 13th. This just means that some people really take this superstition seriously. Even those people who don’t necessarily believe in it, they’re still unlikely to get married on a 13th, or start a new job on that day, if given a choice. If you were given a choice yourself, would you?

I don’t really believe in the superstition myself, but it has been around for a long time. Even as kids, we were taught that Friday the 13th is an unlucky day. I guess some people who have experienced bad luck during this day, will most probably be more wary of it compared to those who haven’t really given much thought to it. But whether you believe in it or not, I think it’s safe to say that we should just be careful at all times, Friday the 13th or not.
Copyright©yani